Entertaining the family can be expensive, especially once you add up the cost of food, entrance fees to attractions, souvenirs and other miscellaneous activities. Luckily we live within driving distance to St. Augustine–a trip that won’t break your wallet. The Nation’s Oldest City offers numerous festivals throughout the year; each one with a cheap or FREE entrance fee, usually with FREE live music and tons of fun for the whole family that won’t empty out your bank account.
Plan a trip to one or more of these Winter or Spring festivals for a guaranteed good time.
- Cathedral Festival: 5 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. on Feb. 24, noon to 10:30 p.m. on Feb. 25, noon to 9 p.m. on Feb. 26–$5 for adults, $3 for children 11 to 17, FREE for ten and under, as well as active duty military. Live music, fair rides, yummy food, games for the kids and a fireworks show at 9 p.m. on Feb. 25. Located at the Mission Nombre de Dios, 101 San Marco Ave.
- The Lions Seafood Festival: 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Mar. 3, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Mar. 4, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Mar. 5–$5 for adults, and kids 15 and under are FREE. Arts and crafts, kid zone, live music and amazing seafood. Located at Francis Field, 29 W. Castillo Dr.
- St. Augustine Lighthouse Fest: 4 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Mar. 4–FREE admission to the St. Augustine Lighthouse and grounds. Enjoy special activities and exhibits. At 4:30 p.m. the Lighthouse 5K and Fun Run takes place. The Lighthouse is located at 100 Red Cox Dr.
- Celtic Music and Heritage Festival: 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Mar.10(whiskey tasting kickoff), 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Mar. 11, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Mar. 12–Tickets can be purchased prior to Mar. 1 for only $8. Live music by eight Celtic bands, Highland games, Celtic food and retail for purchase, Celtic dancing and more. The ONLY St. Patrick’s themed parade in Northeast Florida will be held at 10 a.m. on Mar. 11. The festival and parade are located at Francis Field, 29 W. Castillo Dr.
- Saint Ambrose Spring Fair: noon to 4 p.m. on Mar. 22–Admission FREE. Live music, classic car show, kids games, Minorcan food and BBQ. Located at 6070 Church Rd. in Elkton.
- Rhythm and Ribs Festival: 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Mar. 31, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Apr. 1, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Apr. 2–Children under 16 get in FREE, while adults are $10. Apr. 2 is Family Day–admission drops to $5. This festival features a BBQ competition with vendors from across the south, live music, a kid zone and additional activities. Located at Francis Field, 29 W. Castillo Dr.
- Old Town Art Show: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Apr. 8 and 9–Admission is FREE. 100’s of artists display their works at Francis Field, 29 W. Castillo Dr.
- A Taste of St. Augustine: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Apr. 22–Admission is $5, while taste tickets are $1 each. Restaurants charge 1-5 tickets to taste their food. Live music, kid zone and signature food from local restaurants competing for many categories of titles. Located at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre, 1340-C A1A South.
To share information about additional frugal events on the First Coast, contact us here. To receive daily updates about FREE and cheap activities, subscribe to our newsletter. Be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook as well.