Museums are a great form of entertainment for all ages. North Florida has a nice selection of museums, from art, to culture and history, to just plain silly entertainment–most at a reasonable cost.
If you plan ahead of time, many museums offer discounted rates or even FREE admission days. Below is a selection of thrifty options in Jacksonville and St. Augustine. Enjoy, and check back regularly for updates and additions.
- MOSH: 2nd Wednesday of each month Little Learners program – 2 and under are FREE, admission for all others is $5 – doors open at 9:30 a.m. – pre-register for this program because it’s very popular at http://themosh.org/educate/little-learners/ ; Also offers $5 Fridays – every Friday admission is $5 & museum stays open late until 8 p.m.; located at 1025 Museum Circle
- Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens: FREE admission the 1st Saturday of each month – art making activities, live music and tours included; FREE admission on Tuesdays to the museum & gardens; FREE admission the 1st Sunday of each month to Bank of America or Merrill Lynch cardholders; located at 829 Riverside Ave
- Museum of Southern History: Children 16 and under are FREE, adults are $3; located at 4304 Herschel St
- Hands On Children’s Museum: Ages 1-3 are $4, ages 4 and up are $5.50; no discount days; located at 8580 Beach Blvd
St. Augustine Museums:
- Lightner Museum: No FREE days, but discounts for certain groups – Children under 12 are FREE, 12 to 18 yrs old & college students are $5 – military is $6; located at 75 King Street
- St. Augustine Pirate & Treasure Museum: No FREE days, but children 5-12 are on $7, 4 and under are FREE; located at 12 S Castillo Drive
- St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum: Use this link http://www.staugustinelighthouse.com/visit/discountcoupon for a printable coupon for 10% off admission, or use the provided online code for 15% off admission; located at 81 Lighthouse Ave
- Potter’s Wax Museum: 5yrs and under are FREE, 6-12 are $7, and adults are $10; St. Johns County residents enjoy a BOGO FREE deal; located at 31 Orange Street
- Ripley’s Believe it or Not!: Use this link for a $3 discount on admission, St. Johns County residents get 50% off admission; located at 19 San Marco Ave
To share information about additional frugal events on the First Coast, contact us here. To receive daily updates about FREE and cheap activities, subscribe to our newsletter. Be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook as well.